9/07/2024

My SDP People

Before we moved, we read some fun facts about Berlin. One of Justin's favorite facts is that Berlin has more canals and waterways than Venice! It's also surrounded by 3,000 lakes as the most water-rich region in Germany. 

Woohoo!! 

Our first Sunday back, I was lucky enough to make connections with friends who have paddle boards and wanted to go frequently before fall! Thus began our SUP (stand up paddle board) group.  

Because we're so spread out, it takes some planning and coordination to even get to the lake. Walli takes the tram to our apartment, we drive our car out to pick up Alex and the paddle boards, then head to our final destination!!

Our first week we visited Groß Glienicker See. Found a perfect parking spot late in the day and got right in the water. 

Alex let Walli and me take the boards around to get familiar with how they worked as we tried to keep our balance standing up. Our group name quickly switched to SDP (sit down paddle board). Ha! 

 

The lake was beautiful, the water warm, and lots of people were spread along the various beaches we paddled through. I was in HEAVEN. Talking with two selfless, positive, kind, incredible women, enjoying the sun, and swimming around. I couldn't think of anything better.

The wind picked up as we were paddling back upstream towards the car. Definitely got a workout in and was even a little winded as we pulled up to the beach.

<3

We all talked about how much we loved the afternoon & would have to do it again... Again came the next week and this time we tried out Schlachtensee! A little closer and smaller, but the same results - happy, sunny, and beautiful water.

The last time I had been to this lake was back in January, when Logan and I watched our friends do a polar plunge. Maybe we'll actually get in for 2025!

There were lots of swans and rowboats floating around. Everyone was out enjoying the nice weather.

After dropping Alex off, Walli and I drove home and I couldn't stop thinking about how happy and grateful I am. One year earlier I had been pregnant and didn't have the energy or motivation to get out and meet people. It was a different phase of life than now and I'm so grateful for the friendships that I've been fortunate enough to create over the last 12 months. 

Our text thread looked pretty similar to the week before and we decided we had to get out at least one more time! It was almost September at this point and the weather was going to be dropping soon. 

Bless Justin for rushing home from practice to watch Logan so we could get as much time on the water as possible. Our third and final week, we headed back to Schlachtensee and the leaves had already started to turn.

On this particular day we were pressed for time but truly had a tender mercy. :') We passed a walkway down to the lake and right across from it was an open parking spot!! I threw the car in reverse speedy quick & we snagged that perfect spot. 

By this time we knew the drill for opening, inflating, and organizing the paddle boards, life jackets, and wet bag. We made it down to the water in record time and had some more quality conversations in and out of the lake.

I'll never forget those three SDP trips. I love spending time with Alex and Walli. They're some of my closest friends here and I love them so much. Excited to come back when it warms up again but for now, we have some canals on the agenda to paddle on in the coming weeks.