9/06/2024

Feeling Home & A New Berlin Guidebook

I was excited to walk into our apartment and see how everything looked, and more importantly, be home. 

But first, I'll back up. Landing in Berlin, being in our "home airport", and driving the familiar roads to our apartment was soooo happy. We've been back for a few weeks now and I can't describe it as anything else besides happiness. 

It feels so good and right to be back in Berlin starting another season of basketball and chapter of life. Walking into our apartment together felt so good & everything was just how we left it. Justin and I went to work sorting through dirty clothes and putting everything back in its place while Logan got reacquainted with his toys in the living room. He sat for over an hour completely entertained. I think he liked being home too. <3

Last year we had our personalized Berlin Guidebook, full of food, history, and places to explore. This year, we added about 30 new things above our completed list and are ready to keep seeing more of Berlin.

We had a free evening before bedtime and snuck out for a walk along the Spree and down to the Soviet Memorial we had been wanting to see.

Everyone was out on bikes, scooters, and their own two legs enjoying the end of summer's heat. I missed our city!


During our walk we passed the "Crier" statue. We've driven these streets countless times and I had never noticed this statue. It was built before the Wall came down and the individual is "crying out" towards East Berlin.


This is one of three Soviet memorials built in Berlin soon after World War II. More than 2,000 soldiers are buried behind the memorial. 

I wish I could remember more facts than I do. We read the plaques out loud and I did my best to internalize the history! Regardless, I don't remember many details, but it was a beautiful place.





Walked back to the car through the Brandenburg Gate and noticed this on the sidewalk. All of these tiny pieces of history that go unnoticed - by me!

The spot where Ronald Reagan said, "Tear down this wall!"


My favorite, favorite part of the city. Magnificent Brandenburg Gate with the funnest, most lively square behind it. There's always tourists and live music. & it's the finish line for the Berlin Half Marathon... See you in April!





The perfect way to start our new bucket list/guidebook and end our day. & some spiced chocolate chip cookies always seem to help too!! Making more of these asap.