10/10/2023

Walli

You could call this a guest feature post. When Justin and I walked into our church building the first Sunday, this lady came up to us with a big smile and introduced herself as Walli. She's lived in Berlin for over 30 years (originally from North Carolina).


When people ask me if I've made any friends who I can hang out with, Walli comes to my mind first. She's 84-years-old and is AMAZING. She walked a marathon last week.


We got to have dinner with her our first week there and she's been taking care of me and making sure I'm okay while Justin's been in and out of town.


Walli hasn't just lived in Berlin for the last 30 years. She's been traveling the world and I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when she told me last week that she's also lived in Mongolia for four years.


She's so kind and thoughtful & knows A LOT.

One of our first weeks here, we went to Berlin's annual kite festival at Tempelhofer Field.


& she took me around the city a little bit. My watch hasn't had that many steps in months :') I've been laying pretty low while being in my third trimester, but Walli worked me that day!

I don't know what it is about her but EVERY time I see Walli, I get the biggest feeling of love for her. I haven't experienced anything like that for anyone else. I look at her and feel so much love for her. It's from Heavenly Father because it feels so selfless and easy. & because she's just so good. Always serving others and having them other at her house for dinner. She's a gatherer.


She also showed me a cute Indian restaurant near her house and we got curry. Didn't even notice this until now, but there's a slight rainbow in the sky!




Walli has three children. Her daughter Tracy, was visiting a couple of weeks ago and we got to spend some time together at book club & an Alba game!


When the game was over, I told them goodbye and was about to walk to my car when Walli asked, "Are you sure you don't want us to drive with you to your house? I just want you to know I'm always there for you."


Even though I'm the one who should be taking care of her, it's such a comfort to know that I have someone like Walli this far away from home.